What is my girlfriend entitled to if we split?

In general, unmarried couples do not have the same legal rights to property as married couples. If the property is owned outright by one party, the other partner may not have an automatic right to any share of the equity.

To claim an interest in a property owned by one party it is necessary to show evidence of a beneficial interest in the property, such as contributions to the mortgage or home improvements. If the couple jointly owns the home, they will be entitled to continue living in the property after the split, until the property is sold. The net equity will then be split depending on how the property is jointly held.

family law specialist

The Family Law Specialists is the trading name of The Family Law Specialists Limited, a private limited company registered in England & Wales under company number 15318261 with the registered office at, 128 City Road, London, EC1V 2NX. We do not accept service of proceedings. © The Family Law Specialists. All rights reserved.

This website is not intended to offer legal advice so do not act upon any of its content without taking specific advice.

Follow Us

2190 Mirpur terrace, Lake view house state, 10 no road.