Our Terms and Conditions of business
The Divorce & Family Law Specialists do not undertake reserved legal activities and are not regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.
Our site is directed to people residing in the United Kingdom and we can only advise on the laws of England and Wales. We do not represent that content available on or through our site is appropriate for use or available in other locations outside England and Wales.
We are not a law firm or part of a firm of Solicitors, and we do not conduct litigation. We are a specialist legal services provider with professional backgrounds in law.
We do not act for either of you, nor are we on the Court record. Accordingly, you are Litigants in person and are responsible for the signing of any documents that we prepare for you. You are also responsible for the filing of those documents with the Court and for the payment of any court fees.
We have no affiliation with the Solicitors Regulation Authority (“SRA”), or any regulatory body, form or organisations save for those expressly stated and therefore we are entirely independent. We will never have a third party contact you unless authorised by you.
We do not accept service of proceedings.
Important Terms and Conditions of our Service to you
We will act for you on a Fixed Cost basis.
We will act for you on a ‘fixed work/fixed cost’ basis. This means that we are going to do a clearly defined piece of work for you. You will be responsible for all other matters that fall outside of that fixed piece of work that we will do for you.
You can come to us for assistance and/or services as and when you think it is necessary. We will give you assistance on your matter as and when you decide to return. You are in primary control over all aspects of your case and are responsible for all decisions made including how much you want to spend on legal fees.
Key features of our service to ensure the best-case outcomes are as follows:
- If you fail to draw to our attention all relevant factual circumstances, you may not receive all the necessary legal assistance for your case. All assistance, information, and guidance we provide to you is based on our understanding of the law as it applies at the time it is given and our understanding of the facts you have told us about and any documents you have provided us. We cannot be liable for any incorrect assistance, guidance or information based on inadequate information and/or documents you have given to us.
- Please keep us informed and updated with respect to specific tasks you have asked us to perform. For example, if we are drafting an agreement for you and the agreement falls through, please inform us as soon as possible.
- Please do not make assumptions about what we know. When in doubt tell us or ask a question so we may assist you.
- If we think that any information and/or documents, you have provided us with is inadequate we will not be able to assist you until the further information and/or documents we ask you to obtain or verify is provided.
- Please ensure that we and your spouse/partner have your correct address.
- Please do not give third parties our address, as we will not receive correspondence on your behalf under the terms of this agreement.
- You are responsible for sending and receiving the correspondence.
- Please ensure you keep good records. We suggest that a lever arch file/file dividers is a good way to organise the papers.
- Consultations are always by video conference or telephone.
- We reserve the right not to act for you if we think the matter is too complex to be dealt with in this way, or if a child and/or adult is at risk of significant harm. Should that occur, we can discuss the best way for you to be represented.
- If at any point we think that the matter is too difficult for you to deal with yourself, even with the benefit of our assistance, we will not be able to assist you under this agreement. You may then wish to seek legal advice and assistance elsewhere.
- We reserve the right to review and increase the fee packages that we provide.
Our services do not cover:
- Any communication with a third party including any Courts.
- Anything outside of the boundaries of what you ask us to do.
- Acting as your representative by filing documents on your behalf. You are responsible for this.
- Conducting litigation for you. This means that as far as any Court or tribunal proceedings are concerned, we will not act as your representatives. We can advise you about how to represent yourself, but you will remain responsible for issuing proceedings, dealing with all correspondence and other communication with the Court.
- Keeping your papers.
- Whilst we may offer a professional opinion about your case or about the possible outcomes, we cannot guarantee any particular result, as any result is at the discretion of the Court.
Our duties to you:
We will provide you with a cost-effective professional service considering your individual needs and circumstances.
We encourage the resolution of family law matters on a fair, non-adversarial and uncontentious basis. Both parties must agree to jointly use our services.
We are neutral and impartial, and we do not take sides. Using our knowledge, expertise and experience in family law and alternative dispute resolution, we inform, assist and guide both parties to reach the best outcome for you.
We will use plain language and explain any legal jargon or legal concepts.
We will keep you informed about all developments, and we will respond to your emails and telephone calls within 24 hours.
All your dealings with us are confidential, so we will not provide any information about you to the Court or any other party without your permission.
You can expect useful assistance that progresses your matter each time we assist you.
Who is dealing with your work?
You will be notified who is dealing with your matter. The person dealing with your case will be an experienced family law specialist.
DO NOT RELY ON THE INFORMATION ON THIS SITE
The content on our site is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely.
Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on our site, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on our site is accurate, complete, or up to date.