How do I register a matrimonial home right?

The process to register a matrimonial home right differs according to whether the property is registered or unregistered.

For a registered property, you need to complete a form HR1 – Notice of Home Rights – and submit it to the Land Registry.

For an unregistered property, you need to complete the K2 form, and send it to the Land Charges Department.

Once the registration is complete, any potential buyers or lenders will be alerted that you have a right to occupy the home as the non-owning spouse. This protects you from being unfairly evicted or the property being sold without your consent if your marriage or civil partnership breaks down.

family law specialist

The Family Law Specialists is the trading name of The Family Law Specialists Limited, a private limited company registered in England & Wales under company number 15318261 with the registered office at, 128 City Road, London, EC1V 2NX. We do not accept service of proceedings. © The Family Law Specialists. All rights reserved.

This website is not intended to offer legal advice so do not act upon any of its content without taking specific advice.

Follow Us

2190 Mirpur terrace, Lake view house state, 10 no road.